Sunday, April 29, 2007

Windy City ...


I waited over six months to fix the flat roof on my house as it was leaking. Every time I got things lined up, there was the possibility of rain, except for this day, April 29, 2007.

Today was absolutely beautiful and no call, I repeat, no call for rain. Thus, with some family help, we stripped off about eight layers of tar covering from the flat part of my roof. What was really neat is that the first layer / protectant was actually small pieces of tin that had been soldered together. I was going to fix the roof by putting a new layer of plywood down and attaching a rubber roof.

As you may have already guessed, as soon as we got half of the roof glued with the special adhesive, this massive wind rolled over the field. Both my brother and I jumped on the large piece of tar to prevent it from blowing away. Well, perhaps that wasn't the smartest thing to do as we both almost went for a "Magic Carpet Ride." A few minutes later, Rochelle came up and helped us hold it down. Soon after, it poured down over an inch of rain in fifteen minutes ... and hailed. Honestly, I wasn't surprised. What has surprised me, though, is that the roof is still holding up -- no leaks. Knock on wood!

No comments: